Saturday, December 25, 2010

Lake Toho, Southern Open

I have an extremely long 1200 mile drive to Orlando, FL. I'm going to leave in early January, after the 20+ hour trip I hope to get 10 days to learn the area and the connecting lakes. The upper part of Lake Kissimmee is about 36mi from the launch. I don't get very good gas mileage on my 2004 Yamaha Vmax 225, I get around 40-50miles on one tank, so with gasoline back to $3 it will cost almost $60 one way, I'm hoping I can find enough big fish close by. It's expensive to fish, I have already estimated it will take a 40th place finish to get my entry fee back and 19th-20th place to cover my expenses. I need a top ten or better. I'm going to try to win, the reality is fishing is always tough and if it isn't the competition always is. I'm going to work harder than I ever have to locate where the bass are before game day. I hope this is the event that I stumble onto something special. I always expect something to happen on the water, I just haven't had that magic day yet. I've worked hard this past four years to be prepared for this opportunity and I know I'm ready.

I've been preparing my gear for big florida bass. I'm really looking forward to my first visit Toho the location Dean Rojas set the big bag record of 45.2 lbs, I was at Lake Falcon when Terry Scroggins was 1/2lb shy of the record. There was a six day warming trend prior to the start of the tournament, the afternoon before Dean saw an 11lb, 10lb, 9's, 8's move up to the beds. He caught a 9lber on his 4th cast of the event ending w/ 108lbs after four days. I talked to Ben Matsubu a little about the lake and he gave me a couple pointers, he also has won on Toho. I'm hoping we time the lake perfectly again this year. I'd really like to be able to sight fish some big girls. I'm prepared to do it all, I love flipping grass and reeds.

I have almost finished sorting my lures so I will know exactly where everything I plan to fish with is. I have been running the potential patterns through my head and should have a good idea what I need to look for and do when I hit the water to pre-fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment